Friday, August 22, 2008

FSWA Draft Results

Well, I feel like I should have done a little better but that is always an easy decision to make in hindsight. But I won't dilly and dally over this, here are my round by round picks and my thoughts on the rounds.

Round One

My Pick: Reggie Wayne (11th overall)
J.Hebert: Steven Jackson

A fairly typical first round, Marion Barber was the only pick that stood out to me as too early. Though a lot of people are very high on him this year, I don't think much of Fantasy Football Empire's first pick.

Round Two

My Pick: Frank Gore (14th overall)
J.Hebert: Marques Colston

I feel like I received another first round pick with Gore falling to me in the second. Lawrence Maroney went with the 21st pick but this was high for me considering his poor track record. Yes, he did end last season (the playoffs more accurately) on a roll but I wouldn't bet such an early pick on the loaded Patriots suddenly leaning on him to the degree they would need to justify this pick.

Round Three

My Pick: Drew Brees (35th)
J. Hebert: Reggie Bush

I like Reggie Bush at this point in a PPR league, it may even be a major steal. Brees is my number one rated QB this season since the Saints acquired TE Jeremy Bonderman. I expect Bonderman to be a huge fantasy option moving from a poor passing Eli manning offense to a best in the league Brees operated one.

Round Four

My Pick: Earnest Graham (38th)
J. Hebert: Brandon Marshall

I loved Marshall before his suspension. Steve Smith also went in this round despite his two game suspension. Jerricho Cotchery was an extremely early pick but I do like him this season. It's just a bit early for a sleeper even with the giant upgrade from Chad Pennington to Brett Favre.

Round Five

My Pick: Jeremy Shockey
J. Hebert: Kellen Winslow

More proof that I picked the right guy as my season long rival. Winslow went first as he probably should but I love Shockey in this spot.

Round Six

My Pick: Kevin Curtis
J. Hebert: Kevin Smith

My first mistake. I had an inkling that Curtis' injury could be bad. I even googled him before I made the pick. Let this be a lesson for us all: If you have a gut feeeling, listen to it. Smith is one of my favorite picks this season and gives Hebert his first edge on me in this draft. Ricky Williams was a solid pick in this round. I wish I had made it.

Round Seven

My Pick: Hines Ward
J. Hebert: Nate Burleson

I think I made a great pick. ward has been slipping but the reasoning doesn't seem logical. Just because Holmes is improving does not mean that Ward is toast. Burleson is solid but I think I made the better pick. The same team that picked Williams also grabbed Ronnie Brown with back to back picks. Not what I would have done but it is a fairly safe route.

Round Eight

My Pick: Ray Rice
J. Hebert: Chris Perry

See? We think very much alike. We both grabbed running backs likely to start in the place of old or injured backs. I like mine better obviously since Perry is injury prone himself. I like Aaron Rogers more than most but I thought it was very early to select him.

Round Nine

My Pick: Anthony Gonzalez
J. Hebert: Sidney Rice

We both grab sleeper wideouts. Gonzalez should be a productive part of the Colt offense even if Marvin Harrison is healthy. Rice is just as good but has a lesser QB throwing him the ball. I love the Meachem and Bruce picks in this round but the Kitna pick was surprising.

Round Ten

My Pick: Maurice Morris
J. Hebert: Jerry Porter

Morris has been outstanding in exhibition play. This is a large reach on my part but one I don't mind making in the tenth round of a twenty round draft. Jerry Porter has had some injury issues in camp but should be a productive receiver this season.

We'll cover the next ten rounds tomorrow...

No comments: